We looked forward to the first day of May when I was in grade school. We would pick flowers (okay I have to admit sometimes we picked them from neighborhood gardens) and then leave them in little handmade paper cones or baskets on the doorsteps of our neighbors. My father’s parents lived just around the block so they often received this little gift on May Day.
I didn’t make little paper baskets this morning but I did pluck a few colorful blooms and bring them into work with me. They will help brighten this day. Each time I look at them today, I will be saying a little prayer for a friend as she faces surgery on this May Day.
Treasure your little memories and traditions from childhood but don’t forget to make new ones as an adult.
Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've always thought that the May Day tradition was so lovely, but I've only done it once. My parents had us sprinkle quarters on the porch of some friends who had children but little money at Christmas for a few years.
Post a Comment