There is a certain joy that comes from capturing an image precisely. This is especially sweet when the subject matter is unpredictable and the opportunities for the perfect shot limited.
It is sometimes necessary to make a choice between being a tourist and being a photographer. There are times when you just can't be both. I find this especially true when whale watching. I have missed a number of truly awesome pictures because I was too enthralled with the action of the moment to record it. I have also missed some truly awesome moments because I was too focused on recording it.
This picture doesn’t document the truly awesome surge up from the depths for air … or the tremendous splash that followed … it is just the last quiet moment as he slips gently back beneath the waves. But for me, it doesn’t matter so much. I think this day I was a tourist. This picture serves well as a reminder of all that I did not miss that day. It is a reminder that sometimes nothing is more important than living your life fully and joyfully in the moment.
It is sometimes necessary to make a choice between being a tourist and being a photographer. There are times when you just can't be both. I find this especially true when whale watching. I have missed a number of truly awesome pictures because I was too enthralled with the action of the moment to record it. I have also missed some truly awesome moments because I was too focused on recording it.
This picture doesn’t document the truly awesome surge up from the depths for air … or the tremendous splash that followed … it is just the last quiet moment as he slips gently back beneath the waves. But for me, it doesn’t matter so much. I think this day I was a tourist. This picture serves well as a reminder of all that I did not miss that day. It is a reminder that sometimes nothing is more important than living your life fully and joyfully in the moment.
1 comment:
I feel this tension too, more as a family historian, though. Do I pick up the camera and take pictures and video of the kids enjoying the moment or do I jump in and enjoy the moment with them, knowing they won't remember without a photo record.
Post a Comment